Nagaland Hornbill and Sangai Festival
One of the biggest cultural extravaganzas in the North East, the Hornbill Festival Of Nagaland seeks to promote the protection of the rich Naga heritage and traditions. Over the years, the Hornbill festival has evolved from being a celebration conducted by the Nagas to something that people from all 8 Northeastern states celebrate.
Cultural troupes from all Northeastern states participate in this week-long celebration. It is a great platform to witness the cultural diversity of a community of people knit so closely together. The celebrations are marked with colourful displays with songs, dances and sports by various Naga tribes. The performers clad in elaborate headgears and traditional clothes perform folk songs and cultural dances.
- A celebration of the cultural heritage of the Nagas.
- It is a week-long celebration, where all Naga tribes come together to celebrate.
- It takes place in Naga Heritage Village, Kisama.
- The festival includes traditional dances, sports and songs
- The Sangai Festival is celebrated in Manipur.
- It is named after the state-animal, a brow-antlered deer, found only in the Keibul Lamjao National Park, Manipur.
- The festival projects the proud heritage of Manipur.
- It includes several dance performances and sports like martial arts, polo and rugby.
The Sangai Festival is a grand festival to showcase Manipur in the best light as a world class location for tourism. The festival shows the potential of Manipur in the field of arts & culture, sports, handloom, cuisine, music, adventure sports, handicrafts etc. The festival is named after the state animal, an endangered brow-antlered deer found in the Keibul Lamjao National Park, the only floating national park in the world. There are several performances of Bamboo dance, Maibi dance, Kabui Naga dance, Lai Haraoba dance and Thoibi dance. Several indigenous sports like Thang Ta(spear and swordplay), Mukna Kangjei(a mix of hockey and wrestling) and more are also played.
ITINERARY - Hornbill and Sangai Festival
Date : 29th November to 4th December
Cost : ————–
The Tour Includes : 2 nights at Manipur and 3 at Nagaland.
- Day 1 : – Transport to the hotel after arrival in Imphal. Visit to the Govindaji temple after a visit to the Sangai festival venue. Spend the night at the hotel.
- Day 2 : – Excursion to the Loktak Lake after breakfast. Followed by a visit to the INA museum and the Floating Huts by local boats. The Keibul Lamzao National Park comes next.
- Day 3 : – Transport to the location of the Hornbill Festival, Kisama Heritage Village. Check-in to the hotel and visit the festival venue. Witness the opening ceremony of the festival.
- Day 4 : – After breakfast experience the venue of the festival or depart for Kohima and Khonoma village tour or the Dzoukou Valley Trek.
- Day 5 : – Witness the Naga heritage and cultural shows throughout the day and evening after a hearty breakfast.
- Day 6 : – Check out from the hotel and travel to Dimapur.
ITINERARY - Hornbill Festival and Sangai Festival with Moreh- Tamu Myanmar border
Date : 27th November to 4th December
Cost : ————–
The Tour Includes : 4 nights at Manipur and 3 at Nagaland.
- Day 1 : – Travel to Moreh by car after arrival in Imphal. Stay the night in a hotel in Moreh.
- Day 2 : – Small visit to Tamu (Moreh’s Myanmar counterpart) to indulge in light shopping. Travel to Imphal.
- Day 3 : – Visit the Govindaji temple followed by a visit to the Sangai festival.
- Day 4 : – Followed by breakfast an excursion to Loktak Lake, INA Museum. A visit to the Floating huts by boats and the Keibul Lamzao National Park.
- Day 5 : – Travel to the Kisama Heritage Village after an early breakfast to enjoy the opening ceremony of the Hornbill Festival.
- Day 6 : – After breakfast experience the venue of the festival or leave for Kohima and Khonoma village tour or Dzoukou Valley Trek.
- Day 7 : – Revel in the heritage and cultural shows of the Nagas throughout the day and evening after breakfast.
- Day 8 : – Check-out from the hotel and travel to Dimapur.
- Guided Dzoukou Valley Trek(Rs. 3,500/head 5-7 people)
- Kohima and Khonoma Village tour at Rs. 2,000/head, 5-7 people.
- Visit the hill station Ukhrul for an extra charge and extend your stay.
- GST 5% extra
- Evening tea/coffee and snacks
- Personal expenses
- Mineral water, soft drinks
- Additional sightseeing or travel
- Any entry fee, camera fee, forest entry, festival entry etc.